Business

Technology

Painful news

Fowler native and Findlay Prep coach suffers from form of muscular dystrophy

Todd Simon Findlay PrepThis story was originally published on March 2, 2013.
Todd Simon’s trek from Fowler to Findlay Prep is more inspiring than simply a small-town boy living out big dreams, coaching elite high school basketball talent in Henderson, Nev.
His tale is an example of plowing through physical limitations. Simon, 32, suffers from Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, a form of muscular dystrophy, a hereditary disorder.
The worst pain is in the mornings. For example, after being on his feet much of Wednesday, Simon said, “I felt (Thursday morning) like my Achilles were exploding.”
He no longer wears size 13 shoes. Size 11s fit these days.
“My feet are binding from the tension, because of the nerves and all that stuff,” Simon said of the effects. “So they’ve kind of become deformed over the years.”
He can’t run or play basketball anymore. He played competitively through his junior year at Fowler High School.
“At that point, it wasn’t going to be doctor-recommended that I continue to try to destroy myself,” Simon said.
With two young children and a job that gives him a platform, he’s no longer keeping his condition private.
“Once I had a little more visibility, I could create awareness (about the disease),” Simon said. “Maybe more people are able to listen.
“There’s a 50-50 chance my son has it. There are a lot of other kids who are someone’s son who have it.”
He says it also helps him be true to his message to his players. If they have to fight through one play at a time, through tired legs, he has to push through any discomfort or limitations, too.
“It helps me live by what I say,” Simon said
Painful news Painful news Reviewed by Unknown on 00:18:00 Rating: 5

No comments:

Advertisement

Powered by Blogger.